Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Press Release: Patrick McGee, Write-In Candidate For Astoria Port Commission, Position 5


Subject: Press release from Patrick McGee, Write-in Candidate for Astoria Port Commission, Position 5

Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 16:43:48

May 6, 2009

For Immediate Release.

Press Release

My name is Patrick McGee and I am a Write-In candidate for Astoria Port Commission, Position 5 in the May 19, 2009 Special Election.

Why would I want to run for a seat on Astoria Port Commission?

Well, it certainly isn't that it would be a personal victory of any sort, or a political prize but, more a sense of a need to stand up and avail myself for "Public Duty" and offer one more option to the voters concerned with our port's future.

I feel I can help and make a valid contribution to working with the other members of Astoria Port Commission in the doing of "The Publics' Business" in setting forward looking policies that will make "the Port", once again, a viable and productive asset to our community.

I am not ignoring those elements of positive progress already made especially the current efforts at a new air service and the important negotiation of the purchase of Tongue Point which I supported back in my run against ex-Commissioner Bernie Bjork in a previous election and the further development of our cruise ship services.

I firmly believe The Port of Astoria, along with every other Lower Columbia River Port, should be working and productive ports unified in a common effort to effectively develop the infrastructure to maximize our own share of future river commerce, which can only put more of us to work.

I believe we can no longer prosper the "Sit and Wait" attitude, as it seems we have for years, with schemes thrust upon us rather than determining what best suits us overall and then go out into the world, literally, with a Task Force of our own to sell ourselves and what we can offer to cohesive and compatible industry to make their home here.

I believe The Port of Astoria can be a critical element of that force.

I want to see hundreds, if not thousands, of us working at good, family wage jobs in good, sound industry dispersed effectively and strategically to our best advantage throughout all of Clatsop and adjacent counties both sides of our river community.

Most of all, I want to take action to make this happen rather than it just be more empty campaign rhetoric.

What can I bring to the table? 30-plus years in the Construction Development and Design industry which is 97% condition evaluation, interpretation and problem solving.

If you are curious as to my position on LNG in our community,I firmly believe that it is not right for us and that, given the time, we can do much better but, that decision is not for me to decide, it's in the hands of all the citizens of Clatsop County and surrounding communities.

I will be happy to answer all relevant questions by email at kc2patrick@q.com or by phone at (503)325-1844

No comments: