Saturday, June 30, 2012

State Of Oregon Sets Up 211 Tsunami Debris Hotline

Friday, June 29, 2012

The State of Oregon is launching a new one-stop hotline for reporting tsunami debris along the coastline.

Beginning Friday, June 29, citizens can call 211 to report a variety of material related to the March 2011 Japanese earthquake and tsunami. The 211 hotline is part of an initiative by local and state agencies to respond to the debris as it begins washing up on Oregon beaches.

The hotline will accept calls about hazardous materials, invasive species, derelict vessels and items too large to be easily removed from the beach.

Along with the 211 hotline, collection stations for receiving debris are being set up at 15 state parks along the Oregon Coast. Fort Stevens State Park in Clatsop County will have a designated debris drop box in its south campground area.

The following tips should be followed when encountering beach debris, regardless of its source:

Litter and other typical marine debris: For items such as plastic bottles and Styrofoam, collect the material if practical and dispose of it in the nearest appropriate trash or recycle receptacle. Trash bags are available from state parks offices, including Fort Stevens.

If the items appear to have marine organisms attached to them, throw them in a trash container or landfill or move them above the high-tide line and report them to 211 or by email to

Derelict vessels, shipping containers or other large items: Call 911 in an emergency. If the item is a hazard to navigation, call 211 and you will be connected to the U.S. Coast Guard. Do not attempt to move derelict vessels.

Mementos or possessions: If an item can be traced back to an individual or group, or has personal or monetary value, call 211 or send an email to so arrangements can be made to return it to Japan.

Potential hazardous materials: In the case of oil or chemical drums, gas cans and propane tanks, stay away from the item and call 211 to be connected to the U.S. Coast Guard, which has jurisdiction for hazardous materials.

More information is available from these websites:

Oregon Parks and Recreation Department -

National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration –

Released by: Tom Bennett
Community Relations Coordinator
(503) 338-3622

No comments: