Thursday, June 05, 2008

D.A Josh Marquis On June 5, 2008 LNG Referendum Hearing

After about an hour's arguments Wedneday afternoon by lawyers for Bradwood, Charles Hinkle of Portland, and from attorney Thane Tienson and Brent Vanderhuevel of Columbia Riverkeepers, and myself, Judge Cindee Matyas made a few changes to the proposed ballot title language that will appear on the September special election.

My job as District Attorney is to write as neutral and accurate as possible a 10-word caption,. 20- word question and no more than 175-word summary simply describing what voters are voting on. As I told Judge Matyas I felt that if both sides wanted changes I felt it was likely I had succeeded in being neutral in my language. The judge changed some phrases but agreed in part of points made by all parties. I have no issue with the changes Judge Matyas made, my role under Oregon law is simply to try to draft language. That language is now settled and it will be up to voters.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Refereshing Mr. Marquis, nice to see you in a more casual light.

Thanks